Call Today 781.596.0151
Helping You Navigate Your Immigration Law Needs

Lynn Non-Immigrant Visa Lawyer

Proving the Temporary Nature of Your Stay in the U.S.

Non-immigrant visas are granted to foreign nationals so they can legally remain in the U.S. for a temporary period of time. Even though recipients of non-immigrant visas may have no intention of attempting to permanently reside in the United States, U.S. immigration law tends to presume every visa applicant is a hopeful permanent immigrant. Because of this, applicants for non-immigrant visas have to overcome this assumption against them and prove they are truly coming to the U.S. for the temporary reason they are claiming. A Lynn non-immigrant visa attorney can help you correctly file the necessary paperwork, advise you on the best way to present yourself, and help you work towards securing your visa.

You have an advocate with the immigration law knowledge at Bos Legal. Call us at (781) 596-0151 today.

Student Visas

Student visas are issued for the length of time it takes the visitor to complete his or her course of study, program, or work assignment. The foreign national must have a valid educational reason for studying in the U.S. and must be able to financially support him or herself without working. There are 3 types of non-immigrant student visas. Speak to one of our Lynn immigration lawyers today to learn which best meets your needs.

Extension of Stay & Change of Status

Certain types of visa holders can apply to extend their period of temporary stay in the United States, or even to change the status of their non-immigrant visa.

This can occur with:

  • Diplomats or other foreign government officials and their families and employees
  • Temporary visitors on business or pleasure
  • Academic students, exchange visitors, or vocational students and their immediate family members
  • Representatives from international organizations or foreign media and their families and employees

Serving Clients Throughout the State of Massachusetts

The information included above simply covers the most common non-immigrant visa matters. However, it is highly advisable that you speak to a Lynn immigration attorney about the details of your specific case. Matters of immigration law are of the utmost importance as a misstep could cost you the ability to legally remain in the United States. Fortunately, we know the ins and outs of migration law so that you don’t have to.

Take the first step and speak to a non-immigrant visa lawyer today at (781) 596-0151.

Non-Immigrant Visa FAQs

  • I have an Approved Alien Petition; does it mean I can get my Green Card?

    The process of getting a green card if you are currently in the U.S is called Adjustment of Status. Usually an alien who is physically present in the United States would apply to adjust his or her non-immigrant status to immigrant status or permanent resident status. To file for adjustment of status, the immigrant must not only be eligible to adjust, but must also not be statutorily barred from adjustment. Adjustment of status is “discretionary”. That is, even if the foreign national meets all the requirements, and is not under one of the statutory bar, the USCIS can still deny the case, providing there are legitimate reasons for the denial such as a negative factors in the case such as misrepresentation, application fraud, prior criminal convictions etc.

    In general, most foreign nationals will be able to adjust their status if they meet the requirements and are not barred, even if they have one or more negative factors. Having immediate relatives and close family ties and friends may assist clients to overcome negative factors and allow the foreign national to be adjusted. However, that is never guarantee. In cases where there are negative factors that bar people from adjusting status, they may consult an experienced immigration attorney to discuss whether they qualify for a waiver.

    In order to adjust one’s status, the person must be physically present in the US (or he/she can obtain an immigrant visa through the Department of State), and have an approved. Always consult an experienced immigration attorney on your next step which will be to determine whether you qualify for adjustment of status.

  • How is Adjustment of status different from a change of status?
    A change of status usually is a change from one non-immigrant category to another. A foreign national that is currently in the United States can file an application to change their status from one non immigrant category to a different category. However, an adjustment of status application is an application for permanent resident A change of status is filed together with an application under a particular non immigrant category and allows the person to obtain the intended category. For example, an F-1 student who is currently finishing his school at a local University; he has a job offer from a prestigious employer and now wants to work as a professional worker under the H-1B category. His employer will file an application to change his status from F-1 to H-1B, accompanying his H-1B application. Another example is if a foreign national is currently in the U.S. as a Visitor and has a valid B-1/B-2 visa for six months. While here in the U.S., the foreign national was able to identify a business in which she is interested in investing. She purchased 55% shares of the company and now wants to remain in the U.S to manage her investment. She would be changing status from a B-1 visitor for Business to an E-2 Treaty Investor.